27 Apr Lemony Couscous with Cranberry
Posted at 19:11h in Uncategorized 0 Comments
Recipe submitted by DaVita renal dietitian Martha from Missouri.
Portions: 10 Serving size: 1/2 cup
10-ounce box couscous (about 1-1/2 cup dry couscous)
2 cups water
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 teaspoons lemon zest (from a fresh lemon)
1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 cup celery, chopped
1/2 cup cucumber, chopped
1/2 cup green onion, chopped
1 cup dried, sweetened cranberries
1 tablespoon parsley, finely chopped
- In a sauce pan, combine the water and oil and bring to a boil; stir in couscous and cover. Remove from heat; let stand 5 minutes. Transfer couscous to a large serving bowl and cool in refrigerator while preparing the other ingredients.
- Combine lemon juice with cayenne pepper and cumin.
- To the cooled couscous, stir in the lemon juice and seasonings, chopped vegetables, cranberries and parsley; mix well with a wooden spoon.
- Return to the refrigerator for several hours. Fluff with a fork before serving. Garnish with lemon slices and parsley.
Renal and renal diabetic food choices:
- 1 starch
- 1 fruit, low potassium
- 1/2 vegetable, low potassium
Serve cold as a salad.
Great for a picnic or for a buffet or a pot luck.