27 Apr Lemongrass Chicken Stir Fry Recipe
1/2 tablespoon fish sauce
2 teaspoons low sodium chicken stock
Pinch of sugar
Stir fry ingredients:
2 cups chicken (we used thigh and breast meat – cubed)
1 yellow pepper (thinly sliced)
broccolini (boiled for 30 seconds)
1 red or green jalapeño chile, stemmed and thinly sliced on the diagonal into rings
1 cup purple onion
2 teaspoons garlic
2 teaspoons lemongrass
2 tablespoons rice wine
1 tablespoon roasted chile paste
2 scallions, trimmed and cut into 1- inch pieces
1 tablespoon finely chopped roasted peanuts, for garnish
Serves 3 or 4 as a part of a multi-course meal
1. In a small bowl, whisk together fish sauce, stock, and sugar until the sugar has dissolved. Set aside.
2. Heat a wok over high heat until hot; the metal will have a matte appearance and a drop or two of water flicked onto its surface should evaporate on contact. Add the oil and heat until shimmering but not smoking. Add the chicken and cook, turning occasionally, for 3 to 4 minutes, until lightly browned on both sides.
3. Pour off all but 3 tablespoons of the oil from the wok (leave the chicken in the wok) and return the pan to medium- high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 2 minutes, just until softened. Add the garlic, lemongrass, and jalapeño chile and cook for 30 seconds longer. Add the wine and deglaze the pan, stirring to dislodge any browned bits.
4. Add the fish sauce mixture, chile paste, and scallions to the pan and continue cooking for 1 minute more, until the scallions have softened slightly and the chicken is cooked through.
5. Transfer to a serving dish and garnish with the peanuts. Serve immediately over brown rice or delicious by itself too.
Recipe adapted from – Vietnamese Home Cooking by Charles Phan